What Is It?
The YSEALI Academic Fellows Program brings undergraduates or recently graduated students between the ages of 18 and 25 to the United States for a five-week institute held on the campus of a U.S. college or university. Academic institutes cover the following YSEALI themes:
- Civic engagement
- Environmental issues & natural resources management
- Entrepreneurship and economic development
The programs will utilize a hybrid format with an initial virtual component taking place from March through May 2022. Over a period of approximately two to three weeks in fall 2022 or spring 2023, an in-person component will take place in the United States at the host institution, contingent upon health, safety, and travel conditions. Exact dates for both program components will be determined at the time of selection.
Who is eligible to apply?
Young leaders from all 11 YSEALI countries (Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam) who members that are current undergraduate or graduate students or recently graduated. Participants are selected by their local embassy based on their background, experience, leadership record, and commitment to service. Click country specific application and recruitment information for details.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application, although exceptional applicants over 25 can be considered if they meet all other eligibility requirements;
- A citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam;
- A resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam;
- A full-time undergraduate or graduate student; recent graduate of college, university, or other institutions of higher learning; or young professional who has recently joined the workforce;
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English; and
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
What are the selection criteria?
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and track record in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes: civic engagement, environment and natural resources management, or entrepreneurship and economic development;
- Demonstrate a commitment to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States, ASEAN, and Southeast Asia as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and study tour;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States.