YSEALI Professional Fellows
What Is It?
The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program provides emerging leaders ages 25-35 the opportunity to spend five weeks in the United States, including four weeks working directly with American counterparts in individually tailored work placements with relevant private and/or public sector organizations. During these placements, Fellows build their practical expertise, leadership skills, and professional networks. The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program offers exchange opportunities under the following themes:
- Civic Engagement (designed for emerging civil society/NGO leaders who focus on underrepresented populations).
- Economic Empowerment (designed for emerging entrepreneurs and community leaders who focus on economic development).
- Governance and Society (designed for emerging policymakers, political leaders, public administrators, journalists and NGO leaders who focus on legislative/governance processes and practices).
- Sustainable Development and the Environment (designed for emerging urban and green space planners, planning and sustainability directors, natural resource managers, and other private and public sector leaders who focus on sustainable development and environmental issues).
New PFP Cycle Information
The YSEALI PFP will be administered in two cycles in 2022. Applicants will only participate in one cycle and can indicate their preferred cycle in their application.
- Cycle 1: Virtual activities will begin in February 2022. The U.S.-based exchange is tentatively scheduled for June 13 – July 22, 2022 (pending travel restrictions).
- Cycle 2: Virtual activities will begin in May 2022. The U.S.-based exchange is tentatively scheduled for September 12 – October 21, 2022 (pending travel restrictions).
How Can I Apply?
Applications are open from October 1 – November 15, 2021. All applicants will receive an automated confirmation email upon submission of the application. The selection team will notify all applicants of their status by email in mid-December, whether they have been selected to proceed to the next round of selection or they were not selected.
YSEALI Academic Fellows
The YSEALI Academic Fellows Program brings undergraduates or recently graduated students between the ages of 18 and 25 to the United States for a five-week institute held on the campus of a U.S. college or university. Academic institutes cover the following YSEALI themes:
- Civic engagement
- Environmental issues & natural resources management
- Entrepreneurship and economic development
The programs will utilize a hybrid format with an initial virtual component taking place from March through May 2022. Over a period of approximately two to three weeks in fall 2022 or spring 2023, an in-person component will take place in the United States at the host institution, contingent upon health, safety, and travel conditions. Exact dates for both program components will be determined at the time of selection.
Who is eligible to apply?
Young leaders from all 11 YSEALI countries (Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam) who members that are current undergraduate or graduate students or recently graduated. Participants are selected by their local embassy based on their background, experience, leadership record, and commitment to service. Click country specific application and recruitment information for details.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application, although exceptional applicants over 25 can be considered if they meet all other eligibility requirements;
- A citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam;
- A resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam;
- A full-time undergraduate or graduate student; recent graduate of college, university, or other institutions of higher learning; or young professional who has recently joined the workforce;
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English; and
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
What are the selection criteria?
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and track record in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes: civic engagement, environment and natural resources management, or entrepreneurship and economic development;
- Demonstrate a commitment to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States, ASEAN, and Southeast Asia as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and study tour;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States.
What is the application process timeline?
For details, please visit country-specific information.
How do I apply?
Participants are selected by their local embassies. For details, visit country-specific application and recruitment information.
What are Regional Workshops?
Professional development is offered to young leaders who want to make an even bigger impact in their communities. YSEALI Generation Regional Workshops provide networking, mentoring, hands-on training, and the tools necessary to lead communities in addressing economic, environmental, educational, and civic engagement issues. By visiting one of the 11 YSEALI countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam), young leaders develop an appreciation for the similarities and differences of each other’s culture.
How do I participate?
Regional workshop participants are selected by the U.S. Embassy in the participant’s home country. Join YSEALI to get updates on upcoming YSEALI Generation Regional Workshops.
- 2022 YSEALI Virtual Regional Workshop: Enhancing Human Capital in Health (Virtual)
Hanoi, Vietnam, January 8-23, 2022
Young emerging leaders who have economic, educational, or health care-related backgrounds in ASEAN countries and Timor-Leste will have an opportunity to strengthen their network and bring their new ideas and critical thinking on how to tackle some of the most pressing social issues in human capital of the region that stem from a dearth in healthcare industry, especially in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2022 YSEALI Regional workshop will provide information sessions and inspirational speeches, interactive group activities, leadership training, success stories from ASEAN and U.S. practices, networking events, small grant competition and mentoring program, and cultural activities.
- 2022 YSEALI Mental Wellness for Reduction Narcotics Use Regional Workshop
Rangoon, MyanmarSeries 1: April 27-29, 2022
Series 2: May 25-27, 2022
Series 3: June 22-24, 2022
In partnership with ICUDDR (International Consortium of Universities for Drug Demand Reduction), US Embassy Rangoon will implement a YSEALI Regional Workshop on Mental Wellness for Reduction of Narcotics Use. This workshop is for students, young professionals and mid-career community organizers from ASEAN countries and Timor-Leste working in the field of drug demand reduction. The workshop will deepen applicants’ knowledge of mental wellness as an additional tool for reduction of narcotics use and examine how to better integrate existing youth-led and youth-focused initiatives to promote mental wellness for youth. Applicants will attend a series of three multi-day virtual workshops in April, May, June 2022 that will offer hands-on training, networking opportunities and the chance to receive funding for follow-on projects.
- 2022 U.S.-ASEAN Women’s Leadership Academy for YSEALI
U.S.-ASEAN, April 2022 (Dates TBC)
The U.S. Mission to ASEAN is offering the eighth U.S.-ASEAN Women’s Leadership Academy for YSEALI Regional Workshop for youth from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam. This fully-funded workshop will bring together 44 young leaders who are between the ages of 20-35. This year, the Academy will be an avenue for young women leaders to advance their leadership skills, understand the importance of human capital development and civic engagement to support their work on human rights issues. This program also cultivates a network of young Southeast Asian women leaders who work across national borders, drive collective action and nurture a strong ASEAN identity and community. The YSEALI WLA consists of a series of leadership labs, panel discussions, break-out sessions, and mentoring and networking opportunities with leaders from the region and the United States.
- 2022 YSEALI Regional Workshop: Enhancing Digital Connectivity for All
Malaysia, June 13-17, 2022, TBC
This regional workshop will be held in Sarawak, Malaysia, for 100 youth leaders from ASEAN and Timor-Leste. This workshop will bring together key stakeholders, digital change makers, advocates and community leaders to share expertise, infrastructures and resources to build a cohesive ASEAN network to facilitate efforts towards designing a functional digital connectivity framework and enhancing digital access among communities. For more information visit: YSEALIConnectivity – Cent-GPS.
- YSEALI Summit, Brunei
Brunei Darussalam, June 2022
The U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan is excited to offer the 2022 YSEALI Summit: “Empowering Technology for a Greener Future” for YSEALI alumni! This fully-funded summit will bring together more than 80 YSEALI alumni who are between the ages of 18 – 35.Climate change keeps us on our toes with the rise of sea levels, heat waves, intense bouts of rain, and drought. Southeast Asia, one of our planet’s most vulnerable regions, will bear the stark consequences of climate change unless we act now, as a united front. The Summit is designed to accelerate concerted action from the youth and expand their ability to navigate the complexity of climate issues in Southeast Asia. The Summit will offer a host of interactive, hands-on and immersive learning experiences to all participants while embracing a competitive environment. Along with the Summit, keen participants have the opportunity to apply for one of two optional and highly rewarding program tracks. The Small Grants track will see five winning teams receive a small grant funding of US$2,000 to implement their green recovery initiative.For those wanting to advance their climate career, the Career Fellowship track will invite 12 selected participants to join climate action organizations or companies in the region working on innovative climate change solutions. On top of these opportunities that induce excitement for the Summit, participants will also be welcomed by established regional climate change experts for beneficial knowledge and experience, not excluding a chance to build a meaningful network with like-minded individuals to kick-start green recovery in Southeast Asia.
- YSEALI Guardians of Good Governance (Civic Education for Good Governance)
Philippines, July 4-8, 2022
The U.S. Embassy in the Philippines, in partnership with Cultural Vistas, will host the 2022 YSEALI Regional Workshop: Guardians of Good Governance workshop. The program will focus on utilizing civic education for good governance. The program will consist of pre-workshop virtual activities to provide background of civic engagement theory, lifelong learning, and best practices in building digital engagement strategies; a four-day workshop in Manila; and post-workshop virtual engagement to support and monitor participant implementation of lessons learned during the workshop. Two overarching goals are for participants to develop a deep understanding of how their efforts can promote citizen engagement in their home communities, nations, and across the region.
- YSEALI Embracing Diversity and Inclusion Regional Workshop
Malaysia, August 17-21, 2022 TBC
This workshop will bring together 80 youth leaders from ASEAN and Timor-Leste, practitioners from all levels of society and administration including NGOs, civil society, governments and experts to discuss challenges, develop action plans, and leverage opportunities for regional collaborations to foster the implementation of D&I practices.
- YSEALI Regional Workshop: Marine Warriors
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, December 1-6, 2022
The 2022 YSEALI Regional Workshop: Marine Warriors will invite 100 participants from ASEAN countries and Timor-Leste to Nha Trang City, Vietnam tentatively from December 1-6, 2022 (including travel dates) to study and observe the latest consequences of environmental changes in the Coastal Central, Vietnam caused by plastic pollution, acidification, ocean warming and fisheries management which all have direct effects on people’s incomes and lives, as well as economic development of the region. Through presentations, case studies, site visits, and interactive activities, participants will explore the potential short- and long-term solutions and implementation strategies for addressing changes in the environment that are causing serious and observable consequences in Vietnam’s coastal regions and other marine/freshwater environments in ASEAN.
What is it?
YSEALI Seeds for the Future is a small grants competition for young leaders in Southeast Asia. The competition provides funding for the region’s most promising young leaders to carry out projects that improve their communities, countries and the region. Projects cover one of the four YSEALI themes:
- Civic Engagement
- Economic Empowerment and Social Entrepreneurship
- Environmental Issues
2021 YSEALI Seeds for the Future Grants Competition
Read about the 2021 YSEALI Seeds Grantees here. For more info go to ysealiseeds.org
2021 YSEALI Seeds for the Future – Projects of the Month
The YSEALI Seeds for the Future Small Grants Competition awarded 26 projects in 2021 as part of its seventh YSEALI Seeds cohort. Check out the projects here.
The YSEALI Academy at FUV
What is the YSEALI Academy?
YSEALI partnered with Fulbright University Vietnam (FUV) in Ho Chi Minh City on the YSEALI Academy at FUV. The YSEALI Academy at FUV offers executive-level seminars for entry to mid-level professionals around the themes of technology/innovation, public policy and entrepreneurship. Participation is open to applicants who are citizens and residents of: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste or Vietnam who are:
- between the ages of 25-35 (YSEALI alumni status is not required), OR
- between the ages of 36-40 (YSEALI alumni status is required)
In 2021, the YSEALI Academy at FUV offers three flagship seminars addressing challenging issues facing the region such as energy economics and policy, contemporary cybersecurity challenges and opportunities and fundamentals of startup investing in Southeast Asia.
All seminars are in English and participation is fully-funded.
For all questions regarding the application, please contact email@example.com.
How do I Participate?
Visit https://yseali.fulbright.edu.vn/ for more information on upcoming YSEALI Academy at FUV seminars and application dates.
“Regional Environment and Resilient Development” Seminar
The aim of the two-week Public Policy seminar is to provide an overview of environmental challenges. Through economic and policymaking perspectives, the seminar will focus on selected environmental issues faced by Southeast Asia, including environmental pollution, water security, climate change, oil and gas exploration, upstream hydropower dams and carbon intensity in exports. The seminar combines theoretical and experiential learning and includes high-impact practical experiences relating to maximize the engagement of participants. Applications open till January 17, 2022.
- Enrollment: December 13, 2021 – January 17, 2022
- Participant selection announced: February 15, 2022
- Seminar dates: March 14-25, 2022 (two weeks, ten working days, Monday – Friday; anticipated about 3.5 hours of synchronous programming/day held Monday to Friday. Sessions will take place during business hours and in the evenings Vietnam time. Anticipated 12 hours of asynchronous work during the program)
Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 25 to 35 years old (no YSEALI alumni status required); between the ages of 36 to 40 years old (YSEALI alumni status is required)
- Citizen of and currently residing in one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, or Vietnam
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Be able to participate in all workshop sessions from March 14 – 25, 2022.
How Can I Apply?
- All applications submitted after January 17, 2022 will not be accepted.
- The seminar will be full-virtual and will require a full-time commitment between March 14 – 25, 2022.
- This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of State.
Find out more about the seminar program here.