PROMOTING INCLUSIVE GROWTH THROUGH INNOVATION, TRADE AND E-COMMERCE
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United States promote a well-integrated and inclusive ASEAN Economic Community by strengthening the enabling environment for cross-border trade that benefits both ASEAN and the United States.
The U.S. Government, through the work of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Inclusive Growth in ASEAN through Innovation, Trade and E-Commerce (IGNITE) project, reduces the cost of international trade, spurs e-commerce and increases productivity in Southeast Asia. IGNITE provides technical assistance to ASEAN bodies in the areas of trade facilitation; digital economy; and science, technology and innovation. The project also promotes cross-cutting objectives of micro, small, and medium sized enterprise (MSME) development and gender mainstreaming.
ASEAN-USAID INCLUSIVE GROWTH IN ASEAN THROUGH INNOVATION, TRADE AND E-COMMERCE
IGNITE works in close collaboration with ASEAN sectoral bodies and the regional and global private sector to implement the ASEAN Economic Community Blueprint 2025.
ASEAN is committed to reducing the time and cost of trade through transparency, simplification, predictability and use of technology. These changes will result in higher business activity and investment that drives economic growth. Lower costs will also allow more MSMEs to engage in trade and increase their productivity thus generating additional economic growth. IGNITE activities also reduce non-tariff trade barriers, improve logistics, expand access to trade finance and promote the harmonization of standards.
ASEAN’s share of global e-commerce is less than one percent, but its share of global GDP is three to four percent. This suggests tremendous growth potential for the sector. ASEAN’s SMEs will directly benefit if they can tap into this dynamic market. IGNITE promotes the growth of the regional digital economy by supporting efforts to expand digital finance, improve cybersecurity, strengthen data privacy, improve consumer protection, and expand broadband access and affordability.
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION
While several ASEAN Member States are laboratories of ideas for harnessing science, technology and innovation as a vehicle for growth, various global indicators illustrate how enabling environments in the region restrict opportunities posed by science, technology and innovation. IGNITE will promote measures to improve the enabling environment to provide greater access to technology for MSMEs. The project will also support growth in human capital in science, technology, engineering and mathematics and promote greater linkages among government, the private sector and academia to encourage growth through applied research and development.
PROJECT FACTSHEETS AND INFOGRAPHICS
- ASEAN Single Window - U.S. Automated Commercial Environment Connectivity Infographic [PDF 1.3 MB]
- ASEAN Single Window Factsheet [PDF 716 KB]
- ASEAN's Fourth Industrial Revolution Strategy Infographic [PDF 1.1 MB]
- Growing ASEAN's Digital Economy Factsheet [PDF 200 KB]
- Facilitating U.S.-ASEAN Trade Factsheet [PDF 9.5 MB]
- Gender in ASEAN Infographic [PDF 652 KB]
- Gender Mainstreaming in ASEAN Infographic [PDF 663 KB]
- Trusted Data Flows to Enable Digital Trade Infographic [PDF 1 MB]
- Expanding the ASEAN Digital Economy Infographic [PDF 1 MB]
- ASEAN's Digitalization of Energy Strategy Infographic [PDF 996 KB]
- Low Value Shipments Infographic [PDF 1.3 MB]
- QR Code Standardization in Digital Finance Infographic [PDF 1.3 MB]
- Facilitating Trade through Self-Certification of Origin Infographic [PDF 1.1 MB]
- Next Generation Universal Service Obligations (USO 2.0) Programs in ASEAN Infographic [PDF 1 MB]
- Supporting the enhancement on Science, Technology, and Innovation [PDF 747 KB]