UNLOCKING A COMMON VISION FOR A MORE SECURE, SUSTAINABLE, AND INCLUSIVE SOUTHEAST ASIA
Partnership between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United States Government is key to enhancing human security and advancing a free, open, and prosperous Southeast Asia.
Since 1977, the United States continues to be a close partner supporting ASEAN’s regional development agenda. Collectively, the highly diverse and dynamic region of Southeast Asia has the world’s third largest population and fifth largest economy. Guided by ASEAN aspirations and the Sustainable Development Goals, ASEAN member states work together to build a peaceful and prosperous ASEAN community. Through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. Government supports ASEAN to harness its great diversity to address complex regional challenges such as transnational crime, strengthen rule of law, and uphold human rights.
The United States’ vision for a free and open Indo-Pacific and its three overarching pillars—enhancing shared prosperity, championing good governance and civil society, and ensuring peace and security—guide USAID’s engagement with ASEAN. Through the ASEAN-USAID Partnership for Regional Optimization within the Political-Security and Socio-Cultural Communities (PROSPECT) project, the U.S. and ASEAN enhance regional policies and cooperation across countries and partners to tackle shared challenges, such as emerging public health crises and transnational crime, and advance common values, such as gender equality and human rights. Working out of its office in the ASEAN Secretariat in Jakarta, the five-year USAID-PROSPECT project supports ASEAN and its ten member states to promote sustainable, rules-based, and inclusive growth and expand rights and opportunities for women and youth across Southeast Asia.
PROMOTING RESPONSIVE AND TRANSPARENT GOVERNANCE
USAID-PROSPECT assists ASEAN efforts to strengthen governance, rule of law, compliance with ASEAN conventions and agreements; and facilitate platforms promoting civil society engagement in ASEAN policy-making.
ADDRESSING TRANSNATIONAL CRIMES & NON-TRADITIONAL SECURITY THREATS
USAID-PROSPECT collaborates with ASEAN officials, civil society, and dialogue and development partners to strengthen ASEAN’s policies and systems to effectively coordinate on transnational security issues, including countering violent extremism, trafficking in persons, and illegal trade in wildlife, as well as boosting preparedness and response for public health emergencies, natural disasters, and other humanitarian crises.
ADVOCATING FOR RIGHTS AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL
In support of a people-oriented, people-centered ASEAN community that leaves no one behind, USAID-PROSPECT provides technical assistance to ASEAN efforts to promote youth engagement, gender equality, and human rights.
- Provided technical expertise and management to ASEAN counter-terrorism officials to design the Bali Work Plan to Prevent and Counter the Rise of Radicalization and Violent Extremism (2019 – 2025), laying out the framework and a menu of regional interventions to stem the rise of radicalism and violence in ASEAN.
- Drawing upon the USAID-supported Practitioners’ Model Toolkit (2019), piloted a Regional Training Curriculum on Victim Identification, Protection, Return and Reintegration, to prepare over 120 practitioners.
- Led the research and publication of the Synthesis Report on Opportunities within ASEAN for Advancing a Multisectoral Strategy to Address Human Trafficking and Forced Labor in the Fishing Industry and coordinated consultations with ASEAN and regional stakeholders to discuss findings and recommendations.
- As a result of USAID-PROSPECT training programs, including the Habibie Center’s Community Empowerment for Raising Inclusivity and Trust through Technology Application (CERITA) and the ASEAN Youth Social Journalism and Youth Video Contests implemented in partnership with the ASEAN Foundation, over 50 young ASEAN leaders are better able to draw upon media and technology to raise awareness on relevant topics that promote inclusion. tolerance, and address governance challenges in their communities.
- Provided technical expertise and management support for the development of ASEAN’s first Gender Mainstreaming Strategic Framework as well as leading the research and supporting the launch of ASEAN’s Regional Study on Women, Peace and Security. Both landmark efforts provide ASEAN a pathway forward toward enhancing women’s civic participation and leadership to advance gender equality across ASEAN.
For more information on USAID PROSPECT project’s work and results, contact:
USAID/ASEAN Office Project Management Specialist
Chief of Party / ASEAN-USAID PROSPECT
- Download USAID-ASEAN Factsheet – PROSPECT [PDF 406KB]
- Download USAID-ASEAN Factsheet – Public Health Emergency Coordination System [PDF 249 KB]
- Download USAID-ASEAN Factsheet – WPS Policy Continuum Infographic [PDF1 MB]
- Download USAID-ASEAN Factsheet – PROSPECT Project Overview Infographic 2021 [PDF 681 KB]
- Download ASEAN-USAID Fact Sheet – Joining Forces to Fight Human trafficking in ASEAN [PDF 1,2 MB]
- Download ASEAN’s Bali Workplan Partnering Against Radicalization & Violent Extremism [PDF 3,1 MB]
- Download ASEAN-USAID Fact Sheet-Galvanizing a Whole-of-ASEAN Effort for Gender Equality [PDF 794 KB]
- Download ASEAN-USAID Fact Sheet on Countering-trafficking in Persons [PDF 1,1 MB]
- Download ASEAN-USAID Fact Sheet on Countering Violent Extremism [PDF 1 MB]
- Download ASEAN-USAID Fact Sheet – Promote Gender Equality & Women, Peace and Security [PDF 1,2 MB]
- Download ASEAN-USAID Fact Sheet on Combatting Wildlife Trafficking [PDF 1 MB]