People of ASEAN depend on the ocean for the food they eat, the air they breathe and their livelihoods. The United States actively contributes to a safe, free, open and secure maritime common through cooperation with ASEAN.
- USAID ‘s $20 million Oceans and Fisheries Partnership strengthens regional cooperation to combat illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing and conserve marine biodiversity in the Asia-Pacific region. The program partners with the Southeast Asia Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC) and the ASEAN Sectoral Working Group on Fisheries.
- We support sustainable fisheries and aquaculture, including helping ASEAN to set up a public-private body to accelerate adoption of better aquaculture and fisheries management.
- The United States remains committed to assisting ASEAN enhance its maritime law enforcement capability through the Southeast Asia Maritime Law Enforcement Initiative by building partner capacities of ASEAN’s coast guards and maritime law enforcement agencies.
- The United States is working with ASEAN member states to plan and conduct the first ASEAN – U.S. Maritime Exercise to build confidence, share best practices and promote maritime cooperation.
- The United States supports maritime security and maritime domain awareness through by providing subject matter expertise and advice to ASEAN leaders and maritime stakeholders thought training, numerous workshops, and consultations that include the ASEAN Regional Forum, Expanded ASEAN Maritime Forum and ASEAN Defense Ministers Meeting-Plus. We support the international rules based order in the maritime domain and the peaceful resolution of maritime boundary disputes in accordance with international law.