JOINT STATEMENT: ASEAN-U.S. SPECIAL SESSION HEALTH MINISTERIAL MEETING 15 MAY 2022, BALI, INDONESIA
FINAL JOINT STATEMENT ASEAN-U.S. SPECIAL SESSION HEALTH MINISTERIAL MEETING
15 MAY 2022, BALI, INDONESIA
The ASEAN-U.S. Special Session Health Ministerial was held on 15 May 2022 in Bali, Indonesia.
REAFFIRMING our collective commitment to formalise ASEAN-U.S. Health Sector Engagement as exemplified by the contribution of over 115 million doses of safe and
effective COVID-19 vaccines to ASEAN nations.
EXPRESSING our condolences on the tragic loss of lives due to the COVID-19 pandemic, extending sympathies to those suffering from or affected by this crisis, and gratitude and support to all medical, health and other frontline personnel as we continue to fight the pandemic;
NOTING strengthened partnership and commitment by ASEAN leaders and President of the United States at the U.S.-ASEAN Special Summit in Washington D.C. on 12-13 May
RECOGNIZING the crucial importance of international cooperation in fighting the COVID19 pandemic and reaffirming our commitment to fostering global cooperation in public
health as one of the cornerstones of stability and prosperity of our nations and the wider region by putting forward trust, spirit of cooperation and solidarity in our conduct;
REITERATING a shared commitment to ASEAN Centrality, the ASEAN Outlook on the Indo-Pacific, and ASEAN’s Community Vision 2025, described in ASEAN strategic plans
including the ASEAN Post-2015 Health Development Agenda 2021-2025;
HIGHLIGHTING the importance of strengthening ASEAN-U.S. partnership in supporting international and regional cooperation as well as national governments’ and authorities’
capacities to prevent, detect, and respond to public health emergencies, especially the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic;
ACKNOWLEDGING ongoing proactive and timely efforts taken by ASEAN Member States and the United States in controlling the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic,
including through various measures taken by their governments;
NOTING the historic nature of this Special Session Health Ministerial Meeting was part of the 15th ASEAN Health Ministers’ Meeting (AHMM) and Related Meetings as the first
in-person formal engagement between the 10 ASEAN Member States and the U.S.;
The Meeting agreed to strengthen our public health cooperation by:
1. ENDORSING the Terms of Reference for ASEAN-U.S. Health Engagement.
2. PROMOTING the ASEAN-U.S. health cooperation through developing formal dialogue at relevant ASEAN health sectoral bodies, most notably at ASEAN Health
FINAL Ministers Meeting (AHMM) and ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Health Development (SOMHD).
3. AGREEING on areas of cooperation for discussion and exchange between ASEAN-U.S. in health development, through the four ASEAN health clusters,
including but not limited to:
a. Health systems strengthening for public health emergencies
b. Health systems strengthening through workforce development and capacity building
c. Information and data system strengthening
4. REEMPHASIZING the commitment by the United States in providing international public health assistance.
5. SUPPORTING regional mechanisms established by ASEAN, most notably the ASEAN Center for Public Health Emergencies and Emerging Diseases
(ACPHEED) as well as the ASEAN Public Health Emergency Coordination System (APHECS), that will ensure successful regional preparedness and response to
future public health emergencies.
6. SUPPORTING expansion of local and regional sustainable manufacturing capacity of essential medical products, as well as strengthening research and
building networks in ASEAN Member States.
7. COMMITTING to invest in and strengthen health systems through Universal Health Coverage, in particular primary health care and health workforce as strong
foundations for health security.
8. LOOKING FORWARD to the continued ASEAN-U.S. engagement through well established networks and platforms under the ASEAN Health Sector.
Original document, please click here.