The 2018 YSEALI Regional Workshop: Marine Debris Expedition
Preventing and Combatting Marine Debris in the Seas of Southeast Asia
August 4-9, 2018
A. PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The U.S. Embassy Jakarta and Divers Clean Action seek candidates for the 2018 YSEALI Regional Workshop on Preventing and Combatting Marine Debris in the Seas of Southeast Asia, titled YSEALI Marine Debris Expedition to be held from August 4 – 9, 2018 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
The YSEALI Marine Debris Expedition will bring 60 Young Southeast Asian Leaders from all 10 ASEAN countries together to gain a deeper understanding of the issue of marine debris through field expeditions. Energetic and passionate young leaders will learn broad of knowledge of waste management system, marine litter issues and current status, and how rivers become the key success factor. The expedition will also deliver hands-on experiences and help young leaders create real impact before returning to their home countries to apply new knowledge and ideas in their own communities. All program costs including flight/transportation, meals, and accommodation will be covered by YSEALI. Please note that only flights within the 10 ASEAN countries are eligible; additional costs are the responsibility of participants.
ASEAN citizens between the ages of 18 and 25 who are currently resident in an ASEAN country, full-time undergraduate students or recent graduates from college, university, or other institution of higher learning, who demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university or place of work as well as an interest in community service and volunteerism, have a good command of English, and are willing to travel are invited to apply for the workshop.
B. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Be a YSEALI member. Join YSEALI at https://asean.usmission.gov/yseali/;
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application (born between August 9, 1992 and March 1, 2000);
- Have a valid passport with an expiry date of February 9, 2019 or later
- Be a citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam;
- Be a resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam;
- Be a full-time undergraduate student or have graduated in the past four years from college, university, or other institution of higher learning;
- Demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking English through application materials and past experience (there is no formal test score requirement);
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in waste management and/or sustainable development issues;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest in community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Have a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive program; and
- Have a commitment to apply leadership skills and training gained from the workshop to benefit your community, country, or the ASEAN region.
C. PROGRAM APPLICATION
- Complete application form bit.ly/YSEALIMDEApplicationForm
- A letter of recommendation from teacher/professor (for undergraduate students); or from current supervisor (for working people)
- Combine all documents into one PDF with file name YSEALI Marine Debris Expedition (Full Name, Country of Citizenship).
- Please be careful of sending only one time with completed package. Only the first e-mail with completed package that will be processed.
- Send it to email@example.com, with e-mail subject: YSEALI Marine Debris Expedition (Full Name, Country of Citizenship).
Application for the YSEALI Marine Debris Expedition is open until 11.59 PM (GMT +7) on April 19, 2018.
D. CONTACT PERSON
All questions and correspondence of YSEALI Marine Debris Expedition could be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org